Torn Apart and Reassembled

I got the keys to my crappy house on Wednesday, May 18, 2011. On Saturday, I showed up with my pry bar and hammer, ready to kick some ass and do some demo. As I mentioned before, I was very delusional at this point and I fully expected to be able to tear a whole house apart, remodel it, and then put it back together again. In 2 months. By myself. Just me. You would think I was high, but no. Drugs are stupid. And unnecessary. I come by my delusions naturally.

The demo was uneventful. I didn’t uncover any antique jewelry boxes stuffed in the walls or a sack of money or human bones. I did uncover one interesting find though. This was behind the paneling in the first room I tore apart.

Groovy! I dig that wallpaper. There was writing on the wall to Laurie Ann, presumably born on April 2, 1971. Love, Aunt Ellen and Uncle Frankie and Daddy (who is about 8 years old and much too young to be having children by the looks of his handwriting). Aww… I paused for a moment to reflect on the sweet sentiment. And then I put my hammer through it.

Here are some more pictures of the mostly completed demo. These pictures were taken on July 3, 2011. Move in day was July 16, 2011.  That’s 13 days left if you’re counting…

And in those remaining 13 days, with the help of friends and family (because really, thinking I could ever do this much work alone was indicative of a mental illness probably requiring medication), this is how my house looked when I moved in.

No, my living room/kitchen/dining room didn’t make it to the finish line in that mad dash 13 days. It still needs a lot of work, but it’s come really far from what you see here. I will show you that soon. Notice I didn’t include my bathroom in the gallery. At this point, that was the nicest room in the house and I want to tell you why. I’ll explain all of that in my next post…

Subscribe and I'll love you forever.

Every time you share, an angel gets their wings.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *